1.13.2005

Patience makes perfect.

One thing I have learned in my life is to be patient. I can without any prompting, pick the wrong checkout line. It's a real talent. I get these intuitions about a certain line and skip it to go into another lane just as they are going on break, calling the manager or have decided to help the customer in front of me count out their life savings in pennies. I don't get mad or upset about it, it kind of makes me laugh, I just wait there thinking about how I could be leaving the store about now. Watching people who came into the store after me, shopped for their whole family and the neighbor down the street and they are leaving the store with two full carts while I am still in line trying to purchase a pack of gum, the sugar free kind of course. So if you go into a store with me you pick the line no matter how much I object just pick the line and put me in it.

Mall Meltdown and props to the grown-ups
During the holidays I was at one of the Malls doing some shopping. I was about to leave after picking the wrong checkout lane again, when I walked past a really small McDonalds with a pretty big line. I was thirsty so I decide to get a soda. Waiting in line was a couple and their three kids. Each kid was in various stages of the "Meltdown". I mean a full blown meltdown.
I felt bad for mom and dad who were trying to handle it the best they could. They finally got the food and sat down and then the roof came off. The kids had the wrong meals, somebody got somebody else's chocolate milk and it was on. There was nothing mom and dad could do, but try and switch the food around while the tears and screams of "that's mine give it to me!!" rang out.
I love being an uncle, those meddling kids get out of line and its back to mom and dad. So to you parents out there, much love... and much respect.

Below Zero - I ain't scared cuz I'm one bad mutha... shut yo mouth, I'm just talkin bout Shaft

That's right, I'm bad. I am too cool to be cold. We have played broomball outside in the weather for free, we don't get payed like the pros do, it's all about the love. It's supposed to be -20 this Saturday night. This is our 15th year and we have played in worse weather. I think the coldest weather we played in was about 30 - 40 below. All you have to do is bundle up, cover your skin and start running around, you'll warm up eventually. Well, "The Man" has decided to dictate when we can play. The Man has a new rule that if the temp goes below minus 25 they close the park and don't turn on the lights. I been fighting the man my whole life and now they are trying to take away my broomball.
Rise up with me against the man! Show The Man we ain't scared of no cold weather and when we are done, we're having hot cocoa with those little tiny marshmallows and some graham crackers. Who's with me?


Another selection from Rufus D. Pearson Jr's book, A Smile Cracked My Lips. Available at Borders bookstore and the Northwest Bible College bookstore.

Baby it's Cold Outside

Baby it's cold outside
I know what you saw
It wasn't me
I know what you saw
It wasn't me
You see what had happened was
It wasn't me
Aww baby it's cold outside
Can you just throw down my pants
Aww baby it's cold outside
It wasn't me



1 Comments:

At 11:16 AM, Blogger His Papalness said...

Still can't find the book by Rufus? Try the bookstore at Northwest Bible college under the category: Poets

 

Post a Comment

<< Home