1.17.2005

Happy Birthday Martin Luther King Jr!!!!

What if you lived in a place where the laws of the land only applied to you if they were meant to keep your freedom suppressed? All the books taught you that you were the same as everyone else, yet you still could not take advantage of the very things you were promised at birth.
So in effect you lived as a second, third or even fourth class citizen in this place. You were told where you could eat, drink, live, and who you could be friends with.
All of you know that happened right here in our country and continues in many others. Please take some time today and reflect on where we have been and where we are going.
I don’t always take or get today off in honor of Martin Luther King Jr’s birthday, but I like to think about the things he stood up for and his universal message of peace.
I think back to the events that took place in the early nineteen hundreds in America with African Americans and I see that struggles that people went through. I speak to relatives and ask questions about “What was it like then?” and “Did that ever happen to you?”
The sad part is that someone could ever think another person is lesser solely based on the color of their skin
I think back to things that happened to me as a kid, how Northeast Mpls (or Nordeast) was off limits and if you went over there you were chased back. I had friends that lived over there and spent many a summer day riding top speed to their houses and back home to get over the Broadway bridge as quick as possible.
I had a chance a few years ago to visit the Lorraine Motel where Dr.king was assassinated. It was very interesting and if you are ever in Memphis please check it out. It was as uplifting as it was sad and disturbing. A very good place for reflection on historic events and being thankful for those who went before you.
The “I have a Dream” speech is still really powerful to me and makes me think on how things might have been if my predecessors had not stood up and dared to dream. .
I know sometimes I use the tagline “Keeping the Dream Alive!” when I sign-off on emails as a funny thing, but every time I do, I think about all we have gained as African Americans and as Americans in general. So it’s important to keep the dream alive and to remember who you are as a person and to treat all people with respect. The same respect you would afford a loved one or a close friend.
I feel like I am babbling so I will leave now, remember…
Keep the Dream Alive!!!

4 Comments:

At 11:38 AM, Blogger Andrew said...

As an immigrant to this fine country I'm amazed at the history and how recent so much of it is. Amazed at the institutional bigotry and the bravery of the people who rose up against it. Granted there was bigotry at a legal level in the UK but generally those laws were repealed in previous centuries (Catholic emancipation for example). As far as I know there was never legal separation of people of different colors - but if there was then people have realized as a whole that this was a terrible thing. I worry that there are still considerable levels of racism here, it makes me very uneasy and disappointed that the reality of America is so different from the way most people would have it portrayed.

 
At 9:20 AM, Blogger Mir said...

I sat down and had an entire discussion with my daughter (not quite 7 years old) about MLK Day, yesterday. I was amazed at how dumbed down the info she'd been given at school was. Anyway, we talked about it for a while, and I said to her, "I bet it sounds really silly and weird to you that people used to make decisions about other people just because of how they looked, huh?" and she said "Yeah!" Wonderful what she gets to take for granted, isn't it? :)

Mir
http://wouldashould.com/

 
At 7:38 PM, Blogger His Papalness said...

I am glad a lot more people are getting it today and sad for those who don't. At the risk of sounding corny, I am glad for diversity. I am glad I can enjoy friends from any walk of life and they dig me in return.
It's important that the kidlets get the good messages. My parents taught me at a young age that you pick your friends based on them being good and not what they look like. Sometimes I chose them because they had really good candy!!

 
At 8:19 AM, Blogger Andrew said...

My almost-two-year-old had a session at his daycare about how his friends all look a little different - even if they don't have different skin color they have different eye or hair color and you know what? It's nice to be a little different but really we're all very similar. We also have a few books he really enjoys which have the same thing, including his favorite, Whoever You Are by Mem Fox.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home