2.14.2005

The Coolest Thing About Today Being Valentine's Day

Listening to the radio this morning I heard this coming from the speakers....
A man's voice, very deep and take off on Barry White, Some super smooth baby making music, Barry White style.
So I am thinking it's gonna be an old school cut, the kind that takes you back to the bump and grind, when they played slow jams at the clubs and I would take a honey out on the dance floor, look her in the eyes, do the patented RickyP cheek caress, which always inspired a giggle or at least a smile and we would dance. I was shaken from my glow with this line.
"Hey Baby, that's right I said baby" "Let's talk about your baby and lactation" The next line was "Did you know breast feeding you baby is the best way to help develop their immune system and protect them childhood illnesses?"
I felt like someone had just ripped the needle off the record with the "VREEP!!!" noise.
I was laughing so hard I couldn't breathe. It was a PSA(Public Service Announcement"). It had my attention and I hope it caught some of you mothers out there too. Ignore what Morris Day of The Time once said in a song,
Morris: Honey, Don't you EVER try and breast feed no baby!!
Woman: Why Not?
Morris: Neva mind (Morris Day cackle soon followed)

Cupid, can you help a brotha out.......
HalleNaomiCharlizeJanetTyraHillary(not the cute one, but the smart one) failed to how up for dinner again this year. I put my heart out like I do for Cupid every year, right next to the Hershey kisses you are supposed leave for the tiny cherub and every year he disses me. Oh yeah, I know some years he's brought the occasional pretender, but he's dropped the ball again. Well, there's always next year.

You know, I haven't geeked in a while. So I will tell you about a show I waiting to come out. It's called Robot Chicken. I don't know the premise of the show, but they use Mego action figures from the 70's so it can't be all that bad. They are going to do it stop motion animation style. Should be funny or really stupid. It will be on Cartoon Network's Adult Swim. The cartoon programming of discriminating adults. I do recommend it if you have the means.

Where is Rufus when I need inspiration?
I can't find his other book of love poems at the North Central Bible College library,
Yo Love is Like a Pick in My 'Fro, 1972 Bantam Press Publishers
The only excerpt I could find was from an archive at the Downtown Mpls Library

Happy Valentine's Day Baby
A love expression by Rufus D. Pearson Jr.

Happy Valentine's Day Baby
I put on my best red velvet suit
I pick out my fro
The scent of Afrosheen permeates the air
I climb aboard my platform shoes
I walk to your house, I am going to take you to the stars
Baby, You are my Starship I've come take you up tonight and I won't be late
I ring your bell
You come to me, your afropuffs bouncing as you walk toward me,
my favorite silk dashiki adorns your beautiful body
your face serious, your lips full and sensuously parted
You say the words
You say the words
I'm late, only two days late, no wonder the candy was half price

Rufus was the man. Sometimes misguided, but still a man who tried. Not mine but somebody's hero. The 70's were a funkafied magical time.

Jerome: Rick
Rick: Yeah
Jerome: Seventeen
Rick: So baby what's it gonna be?
The Honey: Chili sauce
Rick: Oh lawd

I stole that last part. Some of you will get what I am talking about and will laugh at the reference. Others will wonder if I spend to much time sniffing glue.

3 Comments:

At 6:15 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I laughed at the chili sauce reference, and thought you might be hitting the glue too. Are they mutually exclusive

 
At 4:12 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Interesting, because I thought Mr R D Pearson did not agree with the Bible college policies and refused to have his books displayed there. I shall look it up the next time I'm in the area.

 
At 10:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

UMmmmm! What the heck. I think you outta lay off watching Purple Rain and use that other purple thing. You know. The thing you got that's darker than the rest of your body. Yeah! Like Pat Chan used to say "the women's will come running for that huge thing". Hell if you take me out and buy me dinner i'll at lest talk to ya!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home