9.14.2004

Life is too short

I was just telling a friend at work that I usually keep it pretty light as far as topics go on my Blog. I have to get a little heavy tonight. The weekend was a little stressful, in fact the last week has been pretty stressful. We had a really rough week at work and some folks won't be stressed about projects anymore. Had a little family stress this weekend as well.
I was on my way to football practice and talking to one of the coaches about all this stuff and through the course of our conversation I said I am just about getting to the point where I don't care to stress over things anymore because life is too short. I really want to stress out about stuff less.
I am trying to get to that point, but it is difficult. I was in a pretty good mood about pushing the weights off my back. My best therapy is talking to my friends and rationalizing things or at least organizing things in my head to better deal with them. I don't get down for long, thank goodness and I have a lot of people ready to listen to those moments, I feel really lucky to have so many of you.
So as we were talking (the other coach and I) I came upon a scene that looked like something out of a movie. There was a man standing on the HWY 280 & University overpass looking like he was about to jump. He was wearing a suit and had a backpack or a bag with him. He was on the other side of the railing. There was a woman talking to him from about 15 yards away. I immediately called 911 and spoke to the police, described the man and the let them know where we were located. I couldn't bring myself to stop and pull over right there. First of all the I was going to be the only coach at practice for the first half hour and second I didn't want to be a witness to something horrible if anything happened. I stayed on the line while the dispatcher told me fire rescue and police had been dispatched.
The fire rescue actually drove past me after I got off the phone.
That is the last I know for now.
I feel kind of weird about it all. I didn't really know what to do. This person was at the end of their rope and they were looking for help. It was all kind of surreal. I don't have anything more to say other than I hope he is ok and didn't cause any harm to himself or anyone else.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home