9.01.2004

Leftovers - Vacation thoughts two weeks after it's over

I like to take the train to Chicago. On the train I vegg out, reset the brain and contemplate my life or take a nap, sometimes one is more exciting than the other.
For some reason that I can't explain I am fascinated by the junk you see in peoples yards behind their houses, sheds and their farmland next to the tracks. It's amazing what people stick behind their houses and places of business.
The houses along the tracks have the most interesting things; half eaten cars, stoves, tractors, pieces of old houses, faded Big Wheels (TM), a mannequin and some nasty piles of stuff I couldn't figure out.
The thing that got me to wander down the road to philosophical thought, was close to the Milwaukee, WI. train station. There was a huge wood hull sailboat behind what appeared to be a large warehouse. This warehouse had nothing to do with boats as it was a ways from the water and there were no other boats around. The boat had a half built sort of leanto covering that housed it. Covering is a loose term, it was pretty dilapidated and the boat didn't look much better.
So my mind wandered like this post. I started to wonder if the owner of this boat is doing the "Maybe someday I'll go work on the boat", but instead they find something else to do and the boat continues to deteriorate. Oh no, could this be a metaphor for some of the things in our lives, I told you I like the train, you get to think....A lot.
Could this boat be a warning for what happens when dreams go neglected? Could it be a reminder of dreams partially realized? This person got the boat, but couldn't finish the dream of restoring it. What does it all mean? That is for you to decide. I could say something corny, like don't let your dreams get scuttled or drydocked, but I won't. Crapsticks, I just did.
I need to make sure my boat stays in the water.

Howdy Neighbor....
The train also allows for talking to strangers, something I am not so good at. Some people can travel by themselves for long periods of time and talk to anybody. I think my friendly face and demeanor invite people to talk to me. I have trouble when strangers come up and talk to me, I wonder why they are talking to me, what do they want? Most want nothing other than to talk. I can't believe how suspicious I get of other folks. I hear people talk of their travels through the country side and how they spoke to this person or that one or even shared their trip adventures with them. Can someone shed some light on this subject for me?

3 Comments:

At 7:44 PM, Blogger His Papalness said...

Hey Daisy,
Thanks for the comment. It was good to see you when you and the Conqueror came back.
Take care

 
At 5:26 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You've got a healthy suspicion - don't talk to strangers. - cap'n t.

 
At 6:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Because you normally travel in boxcars, I think it's wise that you are suspicious. Most of your new friends have killed one or more people in other states. I am usually in the dining car enjoying a drink and Lemon Sole. I look up from The Wall Street Journal occasionally, to sip my brandy alexander.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home