6.27.2004

Music and the “Joy in Repetition” (last Prince reference for a while)

I was on my way to work the other morning and some old school rap came on. The song actually pumped me up before I had to go in to the office.
It was LL Cool J’s “I’M Bad!” It had the beats, it had the rhymes, it had the old school bravado and no bling-bling. I have a few favorite lines from the song. “I’m notorious, I’ll crush you like a jelly bean!!”,and “Forget Oreos eat Cool J cookies!!! …. I’m Bad!!”
How could you not get pumped up by that!?!
This prompted me to think about music and the effect it has on you. Back in the day when I used a Pterodactyl as the needle on my made of stone Technics turntable, before we would hit the clubs, we would put on the latest 12”(an extended play vinyl record usually a remix of a really smooth cut. These were played at 33rpm) practice some moves and get hyped for the night. Yes kiddies, we had CD players, but the 12”s were DJ records, the type played at clubs.
Sade, good music for holding hands. (wink wink, see last month’s picture for how I feel about that.)
Back to PG13….
Music has been an important part of my life ever since I can remember. Growing up around my house you would hear Al Green, Aretha, Teddy Pendergrass, Isaac Hayes (the voice of Chef on South Park), and any major soul artist you can think of. Parties were nothing but music and laughter, holidays were the same. There are quite a few songs that will take me back to specific moments in time. There are songs that I use to help spark the memories, so I can look back in my mind and see my parents and relatives dancing and laughing, those that are still here and those that have left.
Most days I listen to music while I work. My tastes are all over the map and I like it that way. Some days will even get themes. High Pitched Airy or Whiny Brits Day, Old School Cuts day, Funk You Day and Misc. Mayhem Day just to name a few.
I dig music and I can see the role it plays in my everyday life. I guess I need to stop being a hypocrite in terms of music. It used to be when ever I heard that Celine Dion song from Titanic, you know the one with the line that goes “Near…. Far….Wherever you are blah blah blah blah” I would scowl and think to myself, “Who would listen to this drivel?” Now I try to remember this may be a memory spark for someone, I don’t have to like it, but I should think that 50 years from now someone is going to remember they held hands during that song and I will probably throw up in my mouth a little. Remember kids…Celine Dion is evil and we should never speak of her again.

Midnight Train to Georgia or Fort Snelling

My friends from Arkansas came to visit this weekend. We spent time at the Dome for Twin’s Fest getting autographed bats and balls for his collection. The players were very nice and accommodating. Probably a little nicer than I will be when I am famous…signed head shots will be at least $30 dollars a pop. Anyway, after all the signing was done we hopped on the new light rail transit for the free Inaugural ride. It was pretty cool. I hope we get those cool train stuffers like they have in Japan to push the maximum amount of people into the train. Can you see Minnesota nice then? “ Holy jeez dere, ya just crushed my casserole!” “Oh, pardon me I didn’t mean to invade your personal space.” We might have to actually talk to strangers. I hope the light rail works out. We need the Airport and MOA links to open and then I think people will take the train more. One major drawback I already see is the availability of Park and Ride. The Minneapolis leg does not have any near the terminals, but you can drive to a designated Park and Ride, grab the bus and it will take you to the train. So you still have to drive somewhere, park, get on a bus and then transfer to the train, hmn... that makes me wonder if people will change their habits.

2 Comments:

At 12:49 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

When I think of Holiday parties when I was a kid, I remember "The Lawrence Welk Show" on TV. Or being five years old and hearing "The Carpenters" on the AM radio while riding in the back seat of the car (without a car seat of course) on the way to Zayre's Shopper City or Red Owl. "...Don't worry that it's not good enough for anyone else to hear. Just sing, sing a song..."

Dave

 
At 7:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Torii Hunter is the coolest. He is always cordial and makes you feel as if you are the only one he has signed for that day. Superstar and super nice guy. (He should have been voted to the All-Star game, but that is another blog completely)

Douglas Mientkiewicz on the other hand was not so gregarious (perhaps it was his hitting slump).

PS: Dump the dome and build the new ball park.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home