6.21.2004

Second Chances......"Let's Do it Again" - The Staple Singers - 70's Soul

"We read that we ought to forgive our enemies; but we do not read that we ought to forgive our friends."
- Sir Francis Bacon

When does someone deserve a second chance? I used to think I was pretty forgiving. Now I am not so sure. I question the motives of others for transgressions against me or people they care about. When I say transgressions, I mean acts against the rules of friendships or relationships.
I am a pretty tough customer when it comes to friends. :)
I expect and demand a lot. I expect honesty, trust, loyalty and respect. Not a whole lot to ask. I will give those to you in return. If I do something wrong I expect you to call me on it and you should expect the same from me. Pretty simple list of demands I think.
So back to the main topic. When do people deserve a second chance? What are your limits? When do you say enough is enough?
For me, enough is enough when the drama gets too deep. When the time spent together is more detrimental than fun. I still don't know when a second chance is deserved. I guess I would like to have a second chance in certain instances. I know it's a personal judgment call, but I am becoming a curmudgeon. A few more years and I will be yelling at kids to stay off the dadgumit grass!
This is a real wandering post today. I think it may be the mood I am in. I drank some of that Coke2 stuff, not bad. So I may be a little cranky because of it. Please weigh in with your comments about forgiveness and second chances. I am anxious to hear what people have to say.

"Friendship is born at that moment when one person says to another: "What! You, too? Thought I was the only one."
- C.S. Lewis

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home