7.24.2006

Lookin' back on when I was little nappy headed boy - I Wish - Stevie Wonder

Kind of a different title for the topic of family reunions. The reunion had me thinking about when I was a kid around family, so his song beat out the obvious. I get tired of hearing that stinkin' "We are Family" song by Sister Sledge, especially when your aunt insists that you stand and sing it with her at every big family get together. I love my aunt, but the song gets old. :)
We had a family (my mom's side) reunion this year, a big one. We had people from all over the states come up. We had people drive up from Shreveport, LA. Those cousins were 15 people strong driving up in a mobile home. They had a blowout along the way and had to wait for a wrecker. A wrecker to y'all Nothern or city folks is a towtruck. Anyway, instead of complaining or whining or getting all upset while they waited, they broke out the grill and the fryer. The fryer. They grilled and fried catfish on he side of the road, well a little bit a way from the road, but that's my family. We make lemonade out of lemons baby.
You don't mess with the Bell Tripplett Johns Mitchells and everybody else on the tree. Those are the four major names from which we come on my mom's side. Our family genealogist can trace our family back to 1799 and follow us up to today with a few gaps here and there.
We watched some old incriminating videos of everybody from past reunions. I forgot about the pink Generra T-shirt (hyper color of course), wayfarer sunglasses, acid washed shorts and the hightop fade( think Kid of Kid-N-Play).
I also decided that even though some of them used to get on my nerves, I love them. Everybody was happy to see my mom. She even broke it down on the dancefloor. She's an excellent breakdancer and you should see her moonwalk. It was good to see her having a good time. I think it was a little shocking to some folks because they hadn't seen her in a few years and they remember how um... Feisty, yeah that's the words I will use, she used to be, but everyone made her feel at ease and she said she had a good time. That's all that matters. Oh, dad and I had fun too.

1 Comments:

At 5:54 AM, Blogger Closet Metro said...

I wish those days (horn) could (horn) come back once more...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home