9.24.2006

Is it Worth It?

I love football. I like to watch, play and coach it. Monday night's game in New Orleans upsets me a bit. I am torn. I love the sport, but I can't help but think about the parishes that are still in disrepair. It cost 185 million dollars to repair the Superdome after the damage from Katrina. They removed the mold, the water marks, got rid of the stench and whatnot. Why can't they help the displaced people (not refugees) from New Orleans get their homes back into shape? Why is the 9th ward still a wasteland? Why is it taking so long for the insurance claims to be settled? Why are they still finding dead bodies in homes that were marked clear? Why did it take so long for help to arrive?
It just makes me sad and angry. I can take tomorrow night's game two ways. One: It kind of helps restore another piece of normalcy and pride perhaps to the people who are living there and in other places waiting to go back home and Two: Our priorities may be a little out of whack. We are one of the richest and most powerful nations in the world, we can mobilize to help victims of earthquakes, tsunami's and any disaster, but we dropped the ball big time in our own backyard. We still haven't fully recovered the damn ball.
If you get a chance, please watch Spike Lee's When the Levees Broke. It's a documentary about the victims of Katrina, their stories and struggles to survive and how it's still going on today.
I love football, but I can't make up my mind about this.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home